Saturday, September 19, 2009

i am carnivore, hear me roar

It was a full day of eating for me. After a stop at a jewellery sample sale, where despite the fact that the showroom was picked clean of all jewellery items, I still managed to buy 2 pairs of earrings. Not realizing how hungry we were (jewellery shopping can be very exhausting!), we stumbled outside into the bright sunshine and made our way to the Keg in Yaletown for lunch.

I ordered the Escargot stuffed mushroom caps with garlic and herbs as a starter to share and for my entree, the Classic Burger, naturally grilled with Keg spice on a dry bun with french fries. My sibling ordered the Teriyaki Top Sirloin, grilled medium, with roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

The escargots arrived first and I had my sister try one as she has never had escargots before (shock and horror!). She loved it, which was wonderful but turned out to be a double-edged sword of a victory, as we ended up fighting over who got the last escargot (I won that round). As much as I loved the starter, I didn't like the fact that they served it with a simple dinner roll. There was no bread basket filled with hot toasty slices of fresh bread, which would have been perfect for dipping into the oily, gooey mass of garlic and herbs that was slathered (word of the day! This one's for you Lina!) all over the escargots. Instead, I received one small dinner roll, the kind that you could buy at your local grocery store for 29 cents and I had to split that with my sister. I was not impressed.

My sister's steak arrived, and I snagged a moist, juicy morsel along with a quarter of her mashed potatoes. Very tasty. Almost made up for the dinner roll incident. Once my burger arrived, I returned the gesture and shared some of my fries with my sister. Despite being on a dry bun, the burger was flavourful and grilled to perfection: moist and oozing with juice. It was probably one of the best burgers that I've had in a long time.

This cutie was patiently waiting outside the Earls Restaurant in Yaletown. So adorable!

Later on in the day, I met up with my old coworker for dinner at Kawawa Ramen Place at the mall. Since I was still quite full from my previous meal at the Keg (it was a late lunch), I just ordered the gyoza while my friend had the mixed vegetable ramen noodles in miso broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment